Friday 28 March 2014

Volcano Texture

With my involvement with the boss and it's development, i was given the task of texturing the volcano so that it would all fit together and nothing would look out of place. Looking at the rest of the terrain i tried to keep to that style to make it all fit together. I built up my textures and painted in the details i wanted after creating the AO bake for that section to highlight areas of the terrain.

 After completing most of the texture for this, i was told that this part of the terrain mesh needed to be changed as you could see outside of the map when fighting the boss. This was a bit annoying as i thought that this would of been sorted within block out stage. To make sure that all the major map parts were to the correct scale. After changing the mesh to sort this problem it meant that the UVs weren't correct and the texture was stretched in places.

I just had to adapted and proceed through the problem and do the best i could in the situation. I went back in to the UVs and tried to make them less stretched. After that i applied another AO bake to the new terrain and fitted the texture to the new UV layout. There is a little bit of stretching in places but not that noticeable and i was happy with this stage of the texture of the volcano.



Volcano Texture

I got some feedback from my team and my lecturer and added some more detail to the texture to create this:



Volcano texture update

I increased the texture size of the lava within the volcano to give the impression of size and also added a bit of colour variation to it. I also painted a bit of lava on the front of the volcano. I asked for some further feedback from my team members and they liked the improvements but just want a bit more lava painting on the front where it is now to make it more visible, which is my next task.

No comments:

Post a Comment