Tuesday 4 February 2014

Boss Designs & Thought Process

After completing my mood board on the boss, i went away and started drawing designs for the boss enemy. I came up with an initial few designs and key elements that people within the group had suggested to me.



As you can see i quickly introduced the Easter island head to the concept. I also made a few different designs of what a rock monster might look like with this head design. The smaller sketches are different designs of rock and a couple with alien technology infused with the surrounding environment to form this boss.

I found it quite heard though to draw where rock fractures and where certain rocks would end and join up. This si where i got the idea of doing muscle study's of the human anatomy to see where they all begin and link in to one another. I then tried to implement this in to my rock designs. 


Arm Study


Chest Study


Leg Study

With these i was influenced to create a rock design for each part of the body i did a muscle study of. I showed these to my group and they liked the direction i was going in. I also showed them to my lecturer on the module and he mentioned to me about the heads being carved from one piece of rock to form the head where as my designs for the rest of the body were fractured. 

I took this on board and for one of the final designs to choose from i'm going to create a concept which has less rock fractures. I discussed my designs and ideas with my group to see what they thought and they mentions about the head being planted there by the aliens to keep the volcano dormant and then when they came back it awakens and its limbs/torso are created from the erupting magma. In which case there would be a lot of rock fractures from where the magma has formed the body of the boss character.


Lava cracks Example

http://2048x.org/wp-content/miniwallpaper/20121206/ccgsdjxdx3d16.jpg 

After creating these designs for the body and how that should all be design i did a few sketched of different designs for the heads and the ornaments which are sometimes featured on top of the heads.



Head Concept Designs

From these designs i personally like the far right one. It's quite simple in design and wouldn't require too many polys when modelling it. I think it also best represents the heads which is features of Easter island.

I'm now going to create 3 final designs from my research and concept ideas for people to judge and decide which one they think is better suited for our game level and if there should be any changes.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment